With Irma barreling towards Florida we’ve been getting calls from clients on what they should do. Here are our professional tips and tricks to best prepare anyone. Hurricane preparedness for electronics shouldn’t ever be placed before your own safety. However, protecting your assets and thinking ahead can help in the aftermath. Here are our suggestions:
- Make a plan to power down and unplug your electronic assets before the storm.
- Check your backups and consider Backblaze for offsite backups in case your local ones get damaged.
- Move equipment to a safe place away from windows.
- Consider covering electronics with plastic after they are powered down.
- Charge all battery packs while the power is still on.
- Move any battery backups to higher ground and unplug if not needed.
- Copy critical data to an external drive and take it with you if evacuating.
- Customize your phone system to forward to cell phones.
- Consider having a walkie-talkie app in case cell towers go down.
- Seal important physical documents in a waterproof case.
- Get a battery-powered radio for updates during the storm.
- Don’t return until given the all clear and be safe.
Hopefully these tips can help you stay prepared. Have a disaster plan in place and never risk your personal safety to save your devices.
Our office will be closed September 7th and 8th in addition to the weekend. We’ll remain closed until given the all clear by authorities. We’ll be fielding calls as long as possible and once reopened we can help get you running again.